Finding Support

General Information

The Department of Health Services (DHS) is a government agency that provides a wide range of services relating to public health. One set of services they provide relates to helping disabled individuals and their families. DHS accomplishes this by directing those seeking support to the Aging and Disability Resource Center’s (ADRC) consumer web page. This page can help in planning and finding resources to aid in finding support for individuals with disabilities. This includes finding home and health services as well as caregivers and respite providers. These websites are excellent sources of information and will help you start your support network.

On the DHS website you can also find details about long-term support programs such as Family Care and IRIS. These programs help to build the right support plan for you, and both provide unique benefits to the supported individual. Family Care is more structured and works to build a strong, well-rounded support plan, whereas IRIS provides a more personalized plan allowing for self-determination in selection of program services. As always, it is smart to consider both options to select which program works best for you. Advanced Employment is a Network Provider for IRIS and holds a contract with My Choice Wisconsin for Family Care Services. To learn more about these programs please visit the IRIS and Family Care program websites.

Vocational Support Resources

Whether or not you decide to choose Family Care or IRIS as your support program, you may need vocational support. Both programs will be able to help you find this service, but another useful resource in this process is the Department of Workforce Development’s Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR). The DVR provides employment services and counseling and will help find vendors such as Advanced Employment that provide vocational support to disabled individuals.

Resource List

—   Division of Vocational Rehabilitation